Essential oils may have therapeutic benefits, however, it's important to use them safely. Due to the components each essential oil may have different safety factors. Below is a general guideline:
Quality of essential oil - GC/MS tested
Chemical composition - what percentages/constituents
Method of application - dermal, inhaled or diffused
Dosage/dilution applied in blend
Dermal application - sensitization on skin
Age of client
Health condition of client
- Essential oils are always diluted in a carrier oil (See common usage of essential oils).
1% 5-6 drops
2% 10 - 12 drops
3% 15-18 drops
- Bath - 3 drops in a warm bath tub
- Diffuser - 3 - 5 drops with water in diffuser
- Room Spray - one pump from spray and inhale ( 1 oz. distilled water and 10 drops essential oil)
- Steam inhalation or facial steam: 1 drop in a small bowl with warm water and towel over head. Please use skin friendly oils (lavender angustifolia). Please keep eyes closed
- Massage Oil - one ounce of carrier oil ( grapeseed, jojoba oil, coconut oil) 6 drops essential oil.
- Unscented Lotion - one ounce of lotion, add 6 drops essential oil.